Secobarbital (Seconal Sodium) Side Effects, Facts and Drug Information
Secobarbital (Seconal Sodium) is a barbiturates drug which is used on a short-term basis to treat a sleeping disorder, or as a narcotic before surgery. It’s also used to cure anxiety before surgery. It slows the activity of your mind and nervous system. Secobarbital belongs to a class of medications called barbiturate hypnotics.
If you have extreme liver disease, serious breathing issues, or porphyria then you should not take secobarbital drugs. A few people using secobarbital are occupied with action, for example, eating, walking, making phone calls, driving, or having intercourse and later having no memory of the action.
Common Secobarbital Side Effects include:
2. Trouble Waking Up
4. A headache
6. Slow Heartbeat.
8. Loss of Appetite
9. Unusual Thoughts or Behavior
11. Upset Stomach
12. Hangover Effect
13. Or Vomiting may occur.
This is not the complete list of secobarbital side effects, and others may occur. Some secobarbital side effects may happen that typically do not need clinical consideration. These side effects may appear during treatment as your body changes with the medication. Also, your health care professional might have the option to inform you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these secobarbital side effects. Check with your doctor if you have any of the following side effects or call them for medical advice.
Additionally, your human services proficient might have the option to inform you concerning approaches to forestall or diminish a portion of these symptoms. Check with your medicinal services proficient if any of the accompanying reactions proceed or are irksome or if you have any inquiries regarding them:
Precautions You May Have to Follow While Taking Secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
1. Before taking Secobarbital (Seconal Sodium), You should know that secobarbital may decrease the viability of hormonal contraceptives. Talk to your doctor about birth control methods that will work for you while you are taking this drug. Call your doctor if you missed a period or figure you might be pregnant when you are taking secobarbital.
2. Older persons might be more sensitive to the impacts of this medication particularly tiredness and dizziness. In any case, this medication can frequently create excitement or confusion rather than tiredness in older adults. Tiredness, dizziness, and confusion can expand the danger of falling.
3. This drug may make you dizzy. Marijuana (cannabis) or Liquor can make you more unstable or sleepy. Try not to drive, use machinery, or do whatever needs alertness until you can do it securely. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Consult with your doctor if you are using Marijuana.
4. Before taking Secobarbital (Seconal Sodium), tell your doctor or drug specialist if you are allergic to it, or other barbiturates drugs, or if you have some other allergies. This product may contain static ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or some different issues. Talk to your drug specialists for more details.
5. Before using this medicine, tell your doctor or drug specialist your medical history, particularly of: certain hormone issues, liver issues, kidney issues, lung infection, mental/mood disorders, personal or family history of a substance use disorder.
How Should You Take Secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
Secobarbital comes in a capsule form to take by mouth. When secobarbital is used to treat a sleeping disorder, it is typically taken at sleep time as needed to sleep. When it is used to relieve anxiety before surgery, it is typically taken 1 to 2 hours before surgery. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or drug specialist to clarify any part you don’t understand. Take secobarbital precisely as directed.
Your sleeping problems should improve within 7 – 10 days after you begin taking Secobarbital. Call your doctor, if your sleeping problems don’t improve during this time, or if they get worse whenever during your treatment, or if you notice any changes in your behavior or thoughts.
Normally Secobarbital should be taken for a short time, If you take secobarbital for 2 weeks or more, it may not help you sleep just as it did when you initially started to take the drug. If you take secobarbital for a long period, you can also increase dependence on Secobarbital. Talk to your doctor about the risk of taking Secobarbital for about 2 weeks or more. Try not to take a large dose of this drug, take it more often, or take it for a longer time than endorsed by your doctor.
Try not to stop taking Secobarbital without talking to your doctor. Your doctor will probably reduce your dose moderately. If you abruptly stop taking Secobarbital, you make the experience, muscle cramps, changes in vision, vomiting, anxiety, weakness, difficulty falling asleep, wild shaking of your hand or fingers, dizziness, nausea, or you may experience more serious withdrawal indications, for example, seizures or excessive confusion.
Further Information About Secobarbital:
Just remember, keep this and every single other medication out of the reach of children, never share your medicines or drugs with others and use this medication just for the indication prescribed.